Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Owl Pillow

A couple of months ago I was in a cute little shop and spotted an adorable owl pillow for sale. I looked at the price tag....$42! Wow, I knew I could make one like it so I grabbed a quick picture with my phone and decided to try my hand at this owl and I just love how it turned out! 


This was my first shot at applique, so it's far from perfect, but I was excited that it worked. I first drew a pattern for the body, wings, tummy, nose and eye pieces making sure they all fit together nicely.

(Sorry it's hard to see)

I then chose the fabric I was going to use for each part of the owl and cut out the pieces. I did four wing pieces, two for each side to make them a little thicker. The main body had two pieces, two of each of the eye pieces, one tummy and one nose. I then laid all the pieces together to make sure it was the look I wanted.


It was just perfect, so I continued. I started with the tummy onto the front piece of the body. I used a zig-zag stitch all the way around. I then pinned all the circles for the eyes and did a ziz-zag stitch aroung all of those. Last was the nose. 
With that done, I did a ziz-zag stitch around the outside of the wings, connecting the two wing pieces together. 


With all the applique done, the wings were placed and pinned in the right spots and the front and back pieces of the body were pinned right side in. I sewed it together, leaving a small opening at the bottom to turn it right side out. This was done and the owl was stuffed using the same hole. I hand-stitched the hole shut to finish the owl pillow!


~K.A.N.



1 comment:

  1. and just think you could sell that for 42 bucks. i think someone is going to have a shop at some point -rach-

    ReplyDelete