A couple of weeks ago, my aunt asked if I have a sewing machine. When I said yes she asked if I could do a project for her. She explained that her daughter, who is 2 and now starting to potty train, has a lot of cute onesies, but those snaps just don't work with potty training. She asked if I could make them into shirts for her, and I said yes.
A couple of days later, the package arrived in the mail with five long sleeve and five short sleeve onesies.
She also sent a shirt for the length she was looking for.
When I laid the first onesie down with the Americana shirt on top, I realized that even with cutting the onsies right at the hips, there would be no room to hem.
I made a cut straight across, as low as I could and decided I would work from there.
With the bottom cut off, I thought about the different ways I could fix/hem the shirt. I had the idea to just use another type of fabric to make a hem, when I realized I had all the fabric from the bottom part of the onesie that I had just cut off! It was the same fabric, so it would of course work perfectly.
I cut along the dotted line (below) to use the edge of the bottom of the onesie as a hem for the shirt.
Laying those pieces straight out, there was plenty to work with!
I cut the pieces about 1 inch bigger than the width of the shirt and pinned them together, right sides in.
Using a 1/2 inch seam allowance, I sewed the pieces together on both ends, making sure to stitch back and forth a couple of times. I then turned this new "hem" right-side-out and starting with matching the seams, I pinned it to the bottom of the shirt.
Using my longest stitch possible, I sewed a straight line all the way around, attaching the hem to the bottom of the shirt...all finished!
I repeated this process for all the shirts and was quite pleased with how they turned out.
10 shirts ready for potty training days.